Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Spring Fever: Shoe Edition

The warm weather continues, making me think about salads and open-toe shoes and all things summer.  Last year at this time, I was weeks away from my due date and my feet were swollen beyond recognition.  As summer progressed, I stuck to flats, not trusting myself to navigate the roads of life in heels due to my advanced state of sleep deprivation (combined with natural klutziness= deadly combo).  In fact, I even wore flats (gorgeous, fun, bejeweled sandals, but flats nonetheless), to my sister's wedding last June, causing me to look like an Oompa Loompa next to my sisters, with both of them rocking 4-inch heels and looking like Amazonion vixens.  At 5'2", I really need all the help I can get, and so I am happy to be back in the heel game this summer.   I've found the perfect shoes for everyday mommy-ness and they are at the top of my list for Spring. 
Have you heard of TOMS shoes?  I've loved them since I first saw them on my friends Kelly and Vicky, but have yet to own a pair.  These little stripe-y wedge numbers may change all that.  I love the fresh-off-the-ferry-to-the-Vineyard stripes, the reasonably sized heel, and most of all the TOMS mission:
TOMS Shoes was founded on a simple premise: with every pair you purchase, TOMS will give a pair of new shoes to a child in need. One for One. Using the purchasing power of individuals to benefit the greater good is what we're all about. The TOMS One for One business model transforms our customers into benefactors, which allows us to grow a truly sustainable business rather than depending on fundraising for support. Why shoes? Many children in developing countries grow up barefoot. Whether at play, doing chores or going to school, these children are at risk:
•A leading cause of disease in developing countries is soil-transmitted diseases, which can penetrate the skin through bare feet. Wearing shoes can help prevent these diseases, and the long-term physical and cognitive harm they cause.
•Wearing shoes also prevents feet from getting cuts and sores. Not only are these injuries painful, they also are dangerous when wounds become infected.
•Many times children can't attend school barefoot because shoes are a required part of their uniform. If they don't have shoes, they don't go to school. If they don't receive an education, they don't have the opportunity to realize their potential.
Photo and Mission Statement from TOMS website
I love the whole concept behind this company, and I love the shoes!  I want to wear these with a little linen sundress and go get an iced coffee.  Spring fever total has me in its clutches.
What's on your list for Spring?

5 comments:

  1. Yay TOMS!!!! Another pair is definitely on my A-list for spring, too. I love the new "botas" but those are more wintery. These wedges are absolutely adorable!!! Tell me what color you get, and I'll get the other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, what timing! With warmer temps creeping in, I am looking to ditch the winter boots and return to my shoes that, I might add, I haven't worn for several months due to strict orders from my massage therapist to stay off my heels while pregnant.

    But tell me... when CAN I hop back in to my sexy shoes post-partum? Because my joints are still feeling loosey-goosey... and I concur on the sleep deprivation wobbles... and there's a chance none of my shoes fit anymore anyways...

    Huh. I think I'll stick with winter boots a while longer.

    Genius once again, SMJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, are those darling shoes TOMS?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shout out! xoxox - V

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! Can you believe the cuteness?
    Kel, I am completely torn b/t the red and the blue. :)

    ReplyDelete