Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I Like Hot Beverages

After a brief summer teaser this weekend, monsoon season is back.  It is literally raining buckets, and I can't justify dragging the babe out into this weather for a run.  Sideways snow is one thing, drenching downpours are another.  So, as cabin fever sets in once more, I'm doing what I can to remedy The Shining symptoms and keep us feeling cozy and happy.  On my list: a hot shower with good products followed by a facial mask, some extra special grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch (homemade bread, sharp Vermont cheddar, hothouse tomatoes, lots of love), and lots of yummy hot beverages.   My favorite soul-soothing bevvies to combat the cold?
If you're feeling virtuous...
I love Yogi Teas, and this is my favorite one from their line.  Green Tea Blueberry Slim Life is supposed to "support healthy weight loss" and as my quest to Lose the Baby Weight soldiers on, I need all the help I can get.  This tea contains a natural appetite suppressant called Garcinia cambogia, and when I feel the need for an afternoon snack approaching, sipping a mug of this seems to quell the craving.  Even without that maical addition, I love the flavor and the energizing punch you get from the a antioxidant-rich green tea, and ginseng-eleuthero extract.  There is also a hint of hibiscus, which is a flavor I always love.  Even if you aren't dieting, I highly reccommend this tea for an afternoon pick-me-up. 
If you're feeling a little naughty...
When you're stuck inside with a teething baby all day, sometimes you need something a bit more decadent than diet tea.  When the chocolate craving strikes, I love Equal Exchange's Organic Hot Cocoa.  It is made with non-fat milk powder, so technically you only need to add water, but adding it to hot vanilla soy milk really pushes it over the top.  If you had some marshmellows on hand, all the better.  This is a fantastic company that I love to support... check out their mission here.
If you're feeling downright devilish...
This drink was my grandmother's special nighttime remedy for colds and coughs: a nice, stiff hot toddy.  Even if you aren't sniffly, this drink is lovely sipped just before bed in front of a fire with a good book.  You squeeze the juice of two lemons into a mug (Meyer lemons would really give it some oomph), and add a healthy shot of bourbon or scotch (okay, 2 shots) and a generous squeeze of honey.  Fill the mug with boiling water, and stir.  The citrus is edifying and the bourbon just makes everything better.  Raise your mug to my Grandma Martha, and then ease off into dreamland.
Rain, rain go away.  Seriously.

5 comments:

  1. He just keeps getting cuter and cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the exact same thing! His smile is sunshine-y enough to make even a monsoon go away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's almost like he is dancing?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo! Now that I know what a hot toddy is I want one! ANd you know this house is going to have some Knob Creek around here somewhere!

    Little man is getting so big Jane! He is adorable! Happy Friday! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is total hot toddy weather! Do it!

    ReplyDelete