Thursday, July 8, 2010

Heat Wave Dinner

The heat wave continues, although it seems to be abating a bit today.  Last night, though, it was the end of a long, hot day, and my whole being felt sticky and impatient.  Neither the husband nor I felt inspired to do any cooking whatsoever, and he stated a strong preference for not turning on the oven or stove at all, which was just fine by me.  I honestly could have skipped dinner altogether and just sat in front of a fan with my eyes closed instead, but an active day had my stomach rumbling, and she needed to be fed.  Nights like these call for easy, ready-in-minutes, from the fridge/freezer, no fuss meals.  Here's what I had:
My newest obsession: a Morningstar Farms Tomato and Basil Pizza Burger, which is essentially a veggie burger with a lot of flavor and flare.  I love the cheesiness and Italian zest of these burgers, and they have great nutritional stats for a speedy din (120 calories, 10 grams protein, 6 grams fat).  I served mine on a piece of Trader Joe's Garlic Naan, which we had leftover from a Quickie Indian dinner we had a few nights ago, cut in half and fashioned into a bun.  I spread it with goat cheese, added a handful of baby spinach, and I'll tell you what: it was absolutely delicious, and ready in less than 5 minutes.

On the side, I had grilled zucchini, summer squash and red onions.  This is one of my favorite things to do during peak veggie/peak grilling season.... the husband was manning the grill making some ribs for 4th of July, so I quartered a ton of veggies, tossed them in olive oil, salt and pepper, and put them in the queue for him to grill while he was at the helm of the barbecue anyway.  We had a few of these on the side of the ribs, but the majority went in a Tupperware to be used all week long.  I've tossed them into our green salads, served them along side some orzo salad (hence the little piece of runaway orzo in the forground), and used them as a side.  There's nothing better than having a bunch of grilled veggies on hand!

A jackhammer has just awakened Baby J from a brief morning nap, so it is time for our day to truly begin.  I see many iced beverages in our future.

2 comments:

  1. AHHHHHH! NAAN! I was awakened to this yummy delicacy last night at a friends house. We made a Curried Chicken dinner together (ever heard of Patak's brand Curry?) and she had warm Naan from the oven! WOW! I'm making the Tomato Basil Pizza Veggie Burgers tonight for dinner. Wish I had some of that Naan! Going to put some fresh basil I just picked up from my CSA today on the sandwich. I'm wondering if it will be too much basil?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think extra basil would only make the burger better! What did you think?

    I loved Seeds of Peace brand curries, masalas, etc. but haven't tried Patak's... I'll have to pick some up. Naan is definitely addicting. Try it w/ a little butter and za'tar spice... dreamy.

    ReplyDelete