Monday, July 19, 2010

Business Travel

Sorry to go radio silent for a bit there, ya'll.  I spent last Friday, Saturday and Sunday traveling to Vermont and back for work.  This was my first time away from Baby J overnight other than the night of our move, my first time back to Vermont since we officially moved away, and my first business travel in 2+ years.  Whew!

Driving through the Green Mountains in all their summer glory made me especially reflective (Note to self: when feeling emotional and wearing mascara en route to a day of professional commitments, perhaps do NOT listen to Michael Jackson's "Man in Mirror" . Who knew that one was such a tearjerker?).  I will always have a soft spot for what I believe is one of the most beautiful places in the country.  After work on Friday I ran up to our old house and crammed one last load of our belongings into our Subaru, and with that, truly marked the end of our residence in that beautiful place and our transition to the city.
This morning, I find myself a little all over the place.  There are suitcases to unpack, laundry to do, a home office to organize, and I kicked the whole day off with a double latte and a trip over to a collision repair shop in the nether regions of Hyde Park, since my car was hit in a parking lot last week and needs some auto-body love.  Monday, you are cruel and unusual.   As I kiss the weekend farewell, however, I have several shout outs to make:
1) Patagonia Morning Glory Skirt, you are the ultimate work travel item.

You roll up into a wee, unwrinkleable ball.  You are a work-appropriate length with a nice top during the day, and can transform into a saucy sundress (pictured above) for the evening.  You are comfortable, flattering, versatile, and everything travel clothing should be.  I love you.
2) Apple iPhone, where have you been all my life?
You make texting easy, even for a text-challenged person like me.  You acted as a reliable communication device, a DJ for my event with your iPod function, and a way to stay connected and manage e-mail logistics as I dashed all over the state.  Yes, this is old news to all you iPhone/Blackberry peeps, but as a new adopter, I just have to share my joy and gratitude for this little piece of heaven.

3) Husband, you are a ridiculously talented and capable individual.  Many women, upon leaving their little ones home alone with Dad for a weekend, would encounter multiple "how do I do this" phone calls and arrive home to find a house in disarray, with everyone covered in food and needing care and cleaning.  Not in this house.  My boys did massive amounts of unpacking, cleaned the house, found the local farmers market, plotted our new neighborhood run, and generally took care of business while I was gone.  I arrived home to find two clean, cute and happy fellows enjoying eachother's company, and this amazing dinner waiting for me.
This would be spice-rubbed skirt steak, grilled sweet onions and barbecued chicken legs (the man knew I would need a grub sesh after many long days of working and driving).  Skirt steak is my new favorite meat treat; it's tender, tasty and inexpensive and does amazing things on the grill.  The hub simply rubbed this one with some Rufus Teague's Meat Rub, and grilled away.  The chicken legs were tossed in Stubb's Original Barbecue Sauce and slow-grilled.  Finally, one sweet Vidalia onion was sliced, placed in a foil hobo-pack and drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper, sealed and slow-grilled alongside the chicken.  Amazing.  I think I need to go away more often.  Husband, I don't know how I got so lucky and scored a man like you, but I am so very grateful that I did.

And now, with my shout-outs complete, let the Monday multi-tasking begin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment