Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Kombucha Me

When things are topsy-turvy, as they have been of late, I crave things that restore a feeling of calm, balance and wellness to my system: a long, hot yoga class, a really silly comedy, a truly delicious glass of red.  In addition to Yogi Teas, soy lattes and perfectly made dirty martinis, I also seek out drinks that will act as elixirs in giving me energy or making my body feel more in tune and healthy.  GT's Kombucha is one of these power drinks.  
Just what is Kombucha, you ask?  I'll let GT's do the explaining:
Kombucha is alternately known as a Chinese tea, a plant, or a mushroom. But it's not really any of these. It's a living culture of beneficial microorganisms, and in Kombucha's case, the whole is infinitely greater than the sum of its parts! Our Kombucha is delicately cultured - some liken it to fermentation - for 30 days. During this period, essential nutrients form like active enzymes, viable probiotics, amino acids, antioxidants and polyphenols. All of these combine to create an elixir that immediately works with the body to restore balance and vitality. Kombucha has been used for hundreds of years throughout the world as a daily health tonic. The culture resembles a light brown, tough, gelatinous disk—and because it's a living, growing entity, it can regenerate and create new cultures with every batch. In fact, GT's Kombucha and Synergy are made from Kombucha cultures that are descendants of the original culture GT grew to create his first bottles.
Sounds funky, I know, but if you can get past the slightly tart flavor and the floating cultures, this is really tasty stuff, and it is miraculous how downing a bottle really can make you feel like you got a full night of sleep and went for a run, even if you did neither.  The Synergy Trilogy is my favorite flavor; it incorporates lemon, raspberry and ginger juices to produce a gorgeous color and unparalleled flavor.  Like Amazing Grass, GT's Kombucha is one of those things that creates addicts out of anyone who tries it.  The downfall?  It is a tad pricey (~$4/bottle, although I find that one bottle can be 2 servings).  However, GT's sent me some great coupons to give to readers who'd like to try their product! 
Want to try some of this magic brew?  Leave a comment below.  I'll pick a winner on Friday to receive a care package with coupons for 6 free Kombucha drinks!  You could try all kinds of different flavors...

11 comments:

  1. Love this stuff! I often feel like I am buzzing (only way I can descrive it) after I have one. I just wish it didn't smell like my 10th grade chemistry classroom. But it's worth it. LOVE the grape flavor. And the superfruits too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm... my comment didn't post. Sorry if this is a repeat!
    I LOVE, love, love Kombucha thanks to SMJ's introduction of us 3 years ago. It has pulled me out of deep sickness funks, "off" days, and energy-sapped afternoons. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SMJ, going on day 6 of being trapped, er, snowed in with the lovely princesses alone -- while dirty martinis and a nice glass of red sound a little more appealing -- I'm willing to give anything that might enhance my mood a shot! Thanks for the tips, have I mentioned I'm loving this blog of yours?! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey SMJ! Sounds like something I'd like to give a whirl! :) ~Katie Miller

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo Hoo ~ sign me up!
    ~ Melissa Kalinen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey SMJ!
    I LOVE Kombucha (and highly recommend the Passionberry flavor)! This tasty pick-me-up is totally worth the $4 splurge...at least every now and then!
    ~jett

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes please! Grape any day of the week.
    ~Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw your comment on The Edible Perspective and was SO excited to hear about a Kombucha giveaway! I've never tried any because they are so expensive (and my hubby is in law school!), so I'd love to win! Awesome giveaway and fun blog! :)

    www.afoodiestaysfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh what a great giveaway!! Sign me up! =) Kombucha is actually on sale at whole foods right now for $2.50...a miracle, lol..I'm on restriction from buying them because my hubs + I are both unemployed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kombucha is amazing. This would just make my day!! I have so many flavors I want to try but I am scared to branch out. This would be perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm hoping I can still get in the drawing....I need this basically because I feel like poo (stupid sick co-workers spreading their disease!) And some Kombucha sounds a lot better than water right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete