Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 2

Not gonna lie... day 2 of the cleanse was not quite as idyllic as day 1.  Whereas yesterday was spent lying by the fire, languidly sipping our wheatgrass and enjoying an afternoon nap, today we had a lot to do and had to keep it moving pretty much from waking onward.  We woke up to a snow which meant digging out.  Then we had to drive up north for a big pediatrician appointment, run errands while we were in the Big City, and come home to face some serious chores and house projects.  In the midst of that, first I and then the husband got splitting headaches.  Like I've said before, caffeine addiction runs deep in this household, and I am surprised it took until day 2 for the head-vice to show up.  We toughed it out with lots of water, some delicious Tazo Passion tea and some humor and patience.  Tonight we enjoyed a delicious miso soup dinner which did us both right.  There have definitely been some surprising culinary high points on this cleanse, and recipes that I will make again even when not cleansing.

Organic Avenue's Young Love Salad was beautiful and satisfying.

Dr. Alejandro Junger's Cucumber Avocado Soup would be delicious in the summer with some bruschetta and a glass of white.

And this Salad with Carrot and Ginger Dressing is what we're having for lunch tomorrow (photo and recipe from GOOP).  I made the dressing ahead of time this evening so that we just have to grab-and-go for the office in the morning.  I tested it and WOW.  A.MAZING.  I will definitely be making this again and again and again.  I basically want to bathe in this dressing.  This salad would be the perfect thing to serve as an appetizer at a sushi-rolling party or with a beautiful seared piece of ahi.

Tomorrow should be interesting.  I am hoping that the headache won't return, because it was not office-friendly.  I am also not sure if I should embark on the Tuesday 4-miler with the work chicks.  I am just not sure I have enough energy to put in a full day on the job + as a mom on the cleanse and add a run in there as well.  We shall see.  In the meantime, I think I am going to go soak in a lovely Epsom salt bath and hit the sack early.  If you are cleansing along at home, I'd love to hear about your day!

2 comments:

  1. Hi SMJ - thanks for sharing your experience. Both my first and second days have been a little tough, mostly because I've had very full days that required lots of energy. I have felt a little hungry between meals & snacks, but I think it's mostly because I've waited too long in between, and my days have been really long. Once I get that shake or snack into my system, I'm good to go.

    I have to say I'm craving some protein: nuts, hearty cooked greens, dairy, anything! Being a vegetarian, this is a little unusual for me. I've also had a stomach ache all day, and I'm chalking it up to eating all raw for 2 days. I'm hoping tomorrow is stomache-ache free and a little more relaxing. I have no plans other than something early in the morning and then working at my desk at home. We shall see.

    P.S. the lack of caffeine has certainly made me a little sleepy, but no awful headaches here. Sorry to hear about that.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree, these recipes are delicious and i will certainly be using them in my repertoire! especially come summer when nearly everything is fresh from the garden...

    thanks again smj!

    here's to an energized tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete