Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Power Breakfast

I go in phases with my morning meal.  One non-negotiable element is that the day must be kicked off with a big, bold caffeine hit in the form of either a steaming mug of homemade, organic, double-strength coffee or a delicious skim latte procured at one of my favorite neighborhood spots.
Some people need to eat first thing as well, but I'm not one of them.  Ideally, I like to sip water for the first 20 minutes or so after I wake up, then move on to my caffeine fix, and maybe I'll start thinking about food after that. I love a big, eggy breakfast for a treat and I'll order a Benedict-y thing or happily prepare a veggie scramble or a pan of poached eggs for a Sunday breakfast, and the husband's potato hash with a fried egg on top is to die for, as are some of our egg sandwich creations.

However, on a weekday, all that eggy-ness can be a bit much.  So, I tend to go in cycles: steel-cut oats or Kashi Golden Goodness make frequent appearances in the rotation, as does Greek yogurt with fruit and honey.  But lately, I've stumbled into a stellar breakfast routine that has me feeling like a superhero in the mornings, so I thought I'd share it with you.

This all started with my obsession with L.A. in Bloom's Date Shake, which is a complete and fabulous breakfast unto itself.  However, in a new year's bid to take the best possible care of myself, I wanted to scale back on the fat and sweetness of that smoothie, and add a super-nutritious punch.  I haven't had Amazing Meal in the house in far too long, so I recently brought it back into the rotation and am so glad I did.  Amazing Meal is an organic, raw blend of superfoods and greens in powder form, which you add by the scoop-full to your smoothies and shakes.  Each scoop packs a powerful blend of antioxidants, probiotics and protein, and starting your day with Amazing Meal seems to ensure a lasting, robust energy for hours to come.

My new favorite power smoothie:
1 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon almond or peanut butter
1 medjool date, seed removed
1/2 a ripe banana
1 scoop Amazing Meal Chocolate Infusion
sprinkle of cinnamon
1 cup ice
Blend and serve.  Amazing!

I don't typically eat lunch until about 1:30 or 2 when the little man is down for a nap and I've finished whatever dealing I set out to accomplish during the morning hours, so I need breakfast to fuel me for a good five hours or so. As phenomenally nourishing as this smoothie is, the warmth and crunch of toast and the extra oomph of some whole grains are what make my new favorite breakfast complete.  Right now I'm loving Ezekiel bread for its ability to pack a carb-y punch without being doughy or heavy.  Ezekiel products are made completely of sprouted grains and are filled with tons of protein and fiber, but they can still scratch your morning toast itch, and that is brilliant.
YUM.
What's your favorite brekkie lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment