|Hilarious "mid-life crisis coop" via Backyard Chickens|
|Photo via Yummy Mummy, absolutely one of my inspirations for even considering something like this.|
1) Eggs! And not your average eggs, but those gorgeous, farm-fresh eggs with the sun-colored yolk and the superior nutritional value.
2) Localvore street cred! Does it get more local than one's own backyard?
3) Teaching the little man valuable lessons about the cycle of life, responsibility and agriculture. The other day someone asked him where milk comes from and he said, "the store." Oh dear.
4) It's very Little House, and I love me some Laura Ingalls, pioneer-worthy projects.
Potential cons of chicken ownership:
1) Looking at their disturbingly weird little feet.
2) Chicken poop.
3) More noise.
4) More beings to take care of (some days, the boys and the dog feel like plenty, and do you have to get chicken-sitters when you go away for the weekend?).
|Beautiful, backyard-fresh egg recipe from Yummy Mummy. Seriously, look at that yolk.|
|One more from YM, as sister seriously takes the cutest chicken pics, and I may or may not have a small girl crush on her.|
Do you have backyard chickens? Is it a dream? A nightmare?
And do roosters have to be involved? Because I'm seriously outnumbered around here already.
Yours in poultry,
|Only Emerson could make animal husbandry look stylish.|