Thursday, November 19, 2009
Thanksgiving Thoughts: Better with Bourbon
1 (16-pound) turkey (local & organic, if possible. Ours will be from Misty Knoll Farms.)
2 yards cheesecloth
2 to 3 cups bourbon
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch fresh sage
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 liter bottle ginger ale
24 Hours in advance:
1) Soak one yard of cheesecloth in bourbon and stuff into turkey cavity.
2) Wrap the turkey with remaining cheesecloth and soak the cloth with remaining bourbon.
3) Marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours, turning the turkey over 4-6 times.
On Turkey Day:
1) Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
2) Remove the cheesecloth from the outside of the turkey and stuff it into the cavity with the other cheesecloth.
3) Stuff sage leaves under the turkey skin, and rub turkey with olive oil, salt and pepper.
4) Bake at 275 degrees F. for five hours, basting frequently with ginger ale.