Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos

Life has changed.  With Baby J around, I certainly have less time to play in the kitchen than I used to, and I also can't be quite as freewheeling with the grocery budget as I once was (as a foodie and organics junkie, I can do some pretty serious damage at the grocery store).  With these lifestyle changes in mind, I am going to be focusing more on making simple, inexpensive weeknight recipes, and this one is a definite favorite.  I'd say you can put this whole meal on the table for less than $10 (less than that, even, if you skip the fancy-pants flaxseed, multigrain tortillas, but I can't help myself).

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos
Ingredients (pictured here with my lovely assistant):


1 medium onion
1 clove garlic
1 sweet potato
1 can black beans
Olive Oil
Spices (we use our own blend, but it could be approximated with some cumin, cayenne and chili powder) + salt and pepper to taste

Plus embellishments:
Tortillas
Cheese (we like Cabot Sharp Cheddar... did you know it is lactose free?  Bonus!)
Salsa
Sour Cream
Chopped scallions
Avocado
'Maters
Hot Sauce

Start by chopping the onion, peeling the garlic, and peeling and grating the sweet potato.

Next, heat some olive oil in a heavy skillet.  Add the chopped onions and press the garlic into the pan as well.  Saute for about 5 to 7 minutes until the onions are translucent, like so.

Add the sweet potato and continue to saute until it cooks down and caramelizes... about 10 minutes.  The crunchy, sweet browned bits are the very best part of this dish, so take the time to let it cook down, and stir frequently to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Next add the drained can of black beans and spices to taste.  Stir together, and let the mixture cook for about 5 more minutes to let all the flavors meld.


This makes a healthy, dense, and satiating filling for burritos.  I set up an assembly station of toppings, and we make our own. 

The final product:

Don't ask me how I folded this bad boy.  It wasn't pretty.  I am a chronic over-stuffer and will never learn my lesson.   There were tons of healthy veggies and protein stuffed in there, though, so I am not apologizing.

It was especially delightful cooking this meal with this guy keeping me company.  Easily the most delicious thing in the kitchen:

We agreed that this meal was extra tasty, and it was on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Take that Rachel Ray.

3 comments:

  1. Great recipe!

    We love sweet potatoes... and so do our babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it's got to be good when I find myself hungry right after lunch, after reading this. Fwd'ing to Clarke the Chef immediately.

    ReplyDelete