Monday, June 7, 2010

A Mellower Buzz

So, I've been a bit anxious lately.  I'm blaming the impending move, work stress and Baby J's new 4:30am wake-up time, which I suppose is better than 3:30, but still.  All of this, combined with the hot and humid weather that has recently rolled in, has made me decide to take a brief hiatus from coffee.  I'll never permanently turn my back on the dark bean, I love it so; but when I get anxious, I get jittery and my tum tends to go a bit haywire, and I can no longer turn my back on the fact that giving the coffee a rest for a few would probably help both of these conditions.  So, I've obviously been looking for a replacement, as one does not go cold turkey on a devotion to caffeine as complete and consuming as mine.  So, I bring you a new series:
SMJ's Guide to Slightly-Less-Caffeinated-than-Coffee Delightful Summer Beverages
Today's entry?
I am so loving this stuff; it is basically my perfect summer energy drink.  I find that a protein shot really does my energy levels right these days, and each serving of this stuff has 10 grams of protein and 160 calories.  AND caffeine.  LOVE.  The ingredient list is non-scary: vanilla chai tea (soy milk, brewed green tea, natural flavors, vanilla extract), apple juice, soy protein isolate, calcium, carrageenan, vitamin c, magnesium, vitamin b6, zinc, iron, vitamin b12.  There is no chalky soy aftertaste and no overly sweet chai flavor either.  This is a perfect post-run recovery drink, as well as a perfect first thing in the morning drink, featured as part of a yummy breakfast. 
Udi's Hawaiian Granola + Mango + Berries + Oikos + new fave Chai Drink = Best Brek Ever
Chai is usually prepared with black tea, but I love that this drink has all the flavor of chai, but with all the health benefits of green tea, which contains an incredibly powerful anti-oxidant called epigallocatechin gallate or EGCG.  This magical stuff has been proven to lower cholesterol and your risk of certain cancers, as well as boost your immune system and make your skin glow-y.  Good stuff.  As a caffeine replacement, I give this drink high marks.  You don't get that really buzzed and jittery feeling, but that is what I am working to veer away from, so that's a good thing.   You get a nice, sweet green tea buzz instead, as well as the added blood-sugar-stabilizing satiety from the protein.  As well as being a great morning beverage, a big bottle of this stuff (say, 2 servings) would also make a great on-the-go, in-the-car lunch (with a piece of fruit or some whole grain crackers).  Bolthouse Farms Perfectly Protein Chai is an all around winner.  
What easy-on-the-nerves-and-tum caffeinated beverage is your fave?
I am looking for any and all suggestions, so please report back!

3 comments:

  1. I had to give it up too Jane! I got post 2nd baby nerves, not a fun way to start the day. I drink lemon lift with vanilla silk (you know I love that stuff!) but I'll definitely try the bolthouse tea- where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I looooove my coffee, but do not need extra jitters in my life right now... things are pretty jittery all on their own at the moment. I found this stuff at our local market, but I bet you could also find it at Whole Foods or the health food section of one of the chain grocers. Let me know what you think, and I'm going on a hunt for some Lemon Lift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane!

    I got it and loved it. In fact I loved it so much I drank it in two sittings (and could have done it in one), I'll definitely get it again but will have to pace myself! Thanks for the tip, I never would have tried it without a recommendation!

    ReplyDelete