Florentine-style Grilled Steaks
2 garlic cloves, crushed and halved
3 T-bone steaks (each about 1.5 pounds), at room temperature
2 tablespoons good olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 bag arugula
1) Rub the garlic cloves over the steaks, then rub them with olive oil. Go ahead, do it. It feels so wrong, but it is so very right.
2) Season the steaks liberally with salt and pepper (so liberally that again the husband said WHOA. I reminded him to please trust me. He said he was glad he did.).
3) Light your grill. Grill the steaks over medium-hot coals or flame until cooked to desired doneness, turning once.
4) Now, here's the hard but important part, you must let the steaks rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing. This allows the meat to retain all of its juices and become the most tender, juicy loveliness you have ever had.
5) Slice the meat against the grain into 1-inch slices. Squeeze the lemon over the steaks. Serve on a bed of arugula.
We served this steak with just a simple caprese salad: gorgeous cherry tomatoes and fresh mozzarella cut in quarters, showered with chopped fresh basil, and dressed simply with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
Italians know how to live.
So glad I married one.