Monday, May 24, 2010

Product Love

I've got a couple of new products rocking my world that I must share.
The first: Palmers Cocoa Butter Firming Butter with Shea Butter, Collagen, Elastin & Vitamin-E.  I love to moisturize, and am always on a hunt for a perfect basic body lotion. Criteria include fragrance (must be yummy but not overpowering), price point (bazillion dollar designer body creams = don't think so), and effectiveness (lotion should absorb quickly and leave your skin silky and smooth, but not greasy).  And since having the baby, I've definitely noticed a diminished skin elasticity (like that euphemism?), which I plan to fight tooth and nail.  It is this last concern that lead me to grab the Firming Butter off the shelf on my last mission to Babies R Us, and, my friends, we have a keeper.  I LOVE this stuff!  It smells like a day at the beach, the $8 bottle is still going strong 6 weeks in, and my skin feels incredibly soft.  The clincher, though?  The firming part actually works.  I can see a noticeable difference in my skin in the month and half I have been using the Palmers: my legs feel tighter, and even that stubborn post-baby tummy skin seems to be snapping back into place.  I give this lotion 4 stars, and will continue to use it regardless of proximity to pregnancy and/or weight loss.

Now, let's talk deodorant.   I can't and won't use a product with aluminum, which has proven links to Alzheimer's, brain disorders and, hello!, breast cancer (what is closer to your boobs than your pits??  scary!).   Herein lies a conundrum:  most brands of deodorant and anti-perspirant have a laundry list of toxic and synthetic ingredients, none of which I want on my bod.  However, the all natural options tend to be totally worthless, to the point of why-even-bother.  I feel like a natural deodorant that actually works is more or less the holy grail of natural beauty products.   For years I have used, but not loved, Tom's of Maine, and felt reticent to give anyone a hug on a hot summer day.   So, when at the drugstore last week, a new product by Tom's caught my eye: natural long-lasting care, which promises "12 hour long-lasting odor protection" in an aluminum-free deodorant stick.  "I'll believe it when I see it," I thought.  Well, I've been sporting this stuff in warm weather, doing my usual amount of running around, and I amazed and happy to report that it works.  No stinkiness to report, even when chasing the little guy around in the sun, and I love the lavender scent, although it comes in many others.  I urge you to check out the research on the harmful side-effects of aluminum in deodorant and to try a natural alternative.  This one really works!
Loving products that do what they say they will do....

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the natural deodorant shout-out, as I use a natural one too but am always on the lookout for ways to spruce up the ol' armpits.

    And just so you know - I asked for, and received for my birthday a cat FURminator, which you recommended in an earlier blog. O yes, that baby works to remove the cat hair big-time, plus their coats are wayyy softer afterwards too. Thanks for the recommendation, SMJ!

    ReplyDelete