Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Chili for the Fam

We've got a lot of family coming to visit in the next week, including multiple males over 6 feet tall who can really grub down.  In preparation for feeding all these folks, I'm doing some cooking ahead of time.  This is a great time of year for a simple chili, and the one below is healthy, delicious and a snap to prepare (there is a lot of chopping, but not much else, and I always find chopping to be therapeutic).  This recipe comes from my friend Brian, and is prepared in just four easy steps once you get the veggies chopped.  I made a double batch last night: the husband and I had it for dinner, and we'll serve it for dinner again as people begin to arrive tomorrow night, and freeze some for the next round of family who arrives next week.  This chili only improves by the day, and freezes beautifully. Buy a great cornbread mix, set out some fun garnishes (sour cream, shredded sharp cheddar, chopped scallion, avocado, etc.) and voila! Dinner (and lunch, and dinner again!) is served. 


Simple Chili
Ingredients
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, turkey cutlet or steak, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 large and 1 small can crushed tomatoes
2 cans black beans
1 bag frozen corn
4 tablespoons chili powder
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste
Directions
1) Brown meat in olive oil.
2) Add all veggies (with a splash more oil if needed) and cook until onions are just clear.

3) Add tomatoes and simmer for 1.5 hours.
4) Add the beans (with liquid if the chili is looking too thick for your liking), corn, and cilantro.  Add the spices and season to taste.
Done!

I must add that this is how I started my day today:


And I continue to be sold on the power of Amazing Grass. What you see here is the Chocolate Green SuperFood blended quickly with about 6 oz. of vanilla soy milk and a couple of ice cubes.  I drank it at 6:30am while getting us all ready to leave for the day (while Baby J enjoyed some toast).  Keep in mind that I had been up from 4:30-5:30, have a bit of a cold and sore throat, and have some other physical things going on that combined to make me feel horrid upon rising today.  I put back this shockingly tasty beverage, and really felt instantly energized and well.  I didn't touch my coffee until I was almost an hour down the highway at around 8:30 (shocking), and was full until lunch at noon.  I am officially hooked.
Want to experience the magic?  Leave a comment on yesterday's post!
I'm spreading the green love tomorrow morning.

4 comments:

  1. Yum I concur this chili rocks! Ever since SMJ made it for me a few years ago its been a staple in this home during the cold months...just wish I felt chopping was therapeutic!! (I always make a double batch and freeze so we can enjoy for a few meals).

    I saw a cheddar corn bread recipe on 101 cookbooks a few months ago that I thought would be fab with this but couldn't find it this am :( all well there is always the king arthur mix!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the one you are thinking of? Not cheddar, but looks tasty...
    http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/firecracker-cornbread-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! that's it! i think i will make chili and this corn bread on sunday, yumm! thanks, hope you are all feeling better!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok sweet mama J, Clarke is making your chili for dinner tonight in hopes of prodding bebe C along, as it is new year's eve and if we can jump start things tonight, I think we'll have an excellent chance of having the 1st baby of 2010. :D Any comments as to the possible induction properties of this recipe...? ;)

    ReplyDelete