Monday, July 14, 2014

Summer in a Smoothie

Summer is in full swing, and we've been keeping up a packed schedule around here since school ended and the days turned hot.  We bounce around from sports to swimming lessons, playgrounds to pools, beaches to baseball games.  Mornings flash by in a blur of forced sunscreen application, the packing of water bottles and gear for the day, coffee making and dishwasher unloading and garden watering, and every manner of household miscellany.  The heat creeps in slowly, and often things are steamy outside by 9am.

Somewhere in all of this, I've lost the urge to eat breakfast.  Most mornings, I'd much rather sleep, run and/or shower in the cool, fleeting morning hours than take the time to prepare something, then sit and eat it.  And by the time I've dealt with my morning list and fed and prepped everyone else, there is rarely time for that anyway.  So my smoothie streak continues!  And I've been really loving it.

I'm still following and super inspired by this raw vegan Australian Instagrammer and have been totally tantalized by all of her fruity breakfast creations, such as this lovely little number...
Frozen banana blended with dried cranberry powder and topped with coconut flakes.
And as the weather has gotten hotter, I've been more and more pulled to her favorite watermelon creations.
Blended watermelon and ice.
Watermelon beet juice on tap.
Watermelon, straight up!
Watermelon is packed with vitamin C, antioxidants, and lycopene.  More than that, it is phenomenally hydrating, being composed primarily of water.  My favorite smoothie right now is a watermelon, strawberry, coconut water and mint concoction.  This blend is hydrating, energizing, filling and so beautiful.  Also, of all the smoothie combos I've been doing lately, this one is by far the most satisfying... I never get desperately thirsty mid-morning like I do after other breakfasts, and it provides a nice consistent blood sugar buzz for hours.  This is summer in a jar.

SMJ Summer Smoothie
Makes a quart-sized smoothie which, in my case, serves 1*
Ingredients
2 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
1 cup frozen organic strawberries
1 cup coconut water
2 mint leaves, roughly torn

Directions
1) Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.  If you are going to make this last the morning, add a few ice cubes after blending.

*I've found that the key to making a smoothie breakfast last me the whole busy morning is to make a really massive one.  A quart or more of fruit is an incredible way to start the day!  I take this breakfast from the kitchen, to the shower, to the car...


To chasing dudes on to the baseball diamond.
It's a watermelon winner.
Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. yum! we tried this over the weekend. it reminded us of agua fresca! thanks for the inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still like to eat watermelon in a normal way since it's fresh and full of sweet water.

    Helen@certificate of tesol

    ReplyDelete