Friday, October 14, 2011

Best Trick Ever

We have a toddler in diapers.  We have a dog who goes out in the rain.  I like to cook with a lot of garlic.

All of this is to say that sometimes, despite my very best efforts, the house smells a bit.... not so fresh.  I have a nose like a fox, so I'm pretty diligent about throwing open windows, burning lovely candles and baking something once a week that makes the house smell delicious, but sometimes we need something a little extra to make the house smell as welcoming as I prefer. Yesterday, with the rain pouring down, the wet dog smell becoming pervasive, and guests on the way, I had to take action.
Love you, bud, but do not so much love the smell of your wet fur.
I always have a few essential oils on hand, and particularly love the scent of lavender, mixed with some lotion and rubbed into my hands, neck and shoulders before bed.  I find the fragrance so relaxing, and wanted to infuse the whole house with that pure floral elegance.  And so, I've discovered the BEST.TRICK.EVER.
Photo via Aura Cacia essential oils (my faves!)
Did you know that if you put about a cup of water into a saucepan on the stove, add about 5-10 drops of your favorite essential oil, bring it to a boil and then turn it way down and let it simmer, in about 15 minutes, your whole house will fill with whatever scent you've chosen?  And not in a cloying, perfume counter, Yankee Candle way; never fear.  The stove top method mellows the oil and just makes the softest hint of it fill the air.  The effect is unbelievably soothing and so much more effective than lighting candles.   I loved the way this worked with lavender, but a peppermint, eucalyptus or clary sage oil would also work beautifully.  Next time your living space needs a bit of refreshing, give this method a try!  I loved how we became redolent of spa instead of pre-school so quickly.  Ahh...
Happy Friday!

3 comments:

  1. I put cinnamon sticks in a pot on the stove. I get a smelly house as well. Two dogs, both getting old and smelling more by the month. Lavender would be a nice change though! Enjoy your guest!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo doing this, this weekend when I clean house. After all the hectic wedding running around & our time gone on the honeymoon (with in-laws housesitting) the house needs this in a bad way! I just so happened to have a bottle of lavender essential oil in my bathroom drawer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 kids, 2 dogs and a cat. I feel you. And I am totally trying this!!

    ReplyDelete