Friday, August 6, 2010

Daily Candy, Kiddie Sushi

Have you guys heard of Daily Candy?  It's a fun daily e-mail service offering "a handpicked selection of all that's fun, fashionable, food related, and culturally stimulating in the city you’re fixated on (and all over the Web)", and I love it. While most of the shopping-related insights are a bit high-end for my current lifestyle, they are still fun to peruse in the same way you love to flip through Vogue with the full knowledge you'll never be buying or wearing that Versace dress.  What I am really loving from the DC these days are their Daily Candy Kids updates, which feature all kinds of ideas for products, projects and and general creative coolness for kids... think everything from sippy cup reviews to nursery decor ideas.  This week there was a post I particularly loved... Ice Cube Tray Sushi from a new cookbook called "Time for Dinner", written by three former Cookie Magazine editors (Oh, Cookie, how I miss you!).  I'd love to get my hands on this book, as I'm having the darndest time trying to get little J to branch out beyond hummus, pb&j and turkey meatballs these days.  I really want him to enjoy food the way his dad and I do, and I am thinking adding some novelty into the mix could be the way to go.  Plus, if these are a dud, I would happily scarf them all down myself with a nice, chilled glass of Vinho Verde.
Ice Cube Tray Sushi 
Ingredients
7 oz. sashimi-grade salmon, cut into ¼-inch cubes (cooked shrimp or vegetables work well, too)
3 scallions, chopped
3 tbsp. cucumber, finely chopped
3 tbsp. (approximately 5) grape tomatoes, finely chopped
2 tsp. lime juice
1 tsp. orange juice
2½ tbsp. mayonnaise
¼ tsp. sesame oil
¼ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 c. cooked rice
Directions
1. Combine all ingredients except the rice in a bowl.
2. To make the sushi-rice blocks, use an ice cube tray as a mold. Prepare the mold by sprinkling it lightly with water.
3. Press the rice into the tray squares; use your finger to push a hole three-quarters of the way into each square.
4. Turn the mold upside down onto waxed paper and tap until the squares fall out.
5. Fill each hole with 2 tsp. of the salmon, shrimp, or vegetable mixture and serve.
Serves four

I am going to be somewhat on the fly for the next week on a multi-stop road trip ending at wedding next Saturday where the husband will be looking dashing in a tux as a groomsmen.  During this time, I will most certainly not be making Ice Cube Tray Sushi.  So, I put this post up partly as a bookmark, partly as a weekend inspiration for the rest of you.  If anyone, especially anyone with picky-eatin' little ones, happens to chef this up over the weekend, will you kindly let me know how it goes?  Thank you, and happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment